Monday, October 17, 2016

The NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Educator Award 2017

How and why do you encourage young women to pursue technology/computing?  I am a woman with a degree in management information systems from Auburn University. I remember being one of the only females in my programming classes. I hope to broaden my students interests by helping them to see that gender does not pigeon-hole us into careers. 

How are your computer/technology teaching techniques inclusive of women and underserved students?  My teaching philosophy is based on an old Chinese proverb that states, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  Teaching has been nothing less than a joy for me these past few years. My base objective as a teacher is to be sure that my students learn the fundamental content of the courses that I teach.  Currently I teach courses aimed at business, information technology and computer science.  Beyond the fundamentals of of these classes, I want my students to develop other proficiencies such as analytical thought process and life-long learning skills.  Developing problem solving strategies and helping ease the transition from an educational setting to a career world full of information technology are also goals that I have set for myself as an educator.

Biography: Hello!  I am Leigh, Information Technology and Computer Science teacher at Jackson High School.   I have been teaching at JHS since 2004. I am a mother, wife, daughter, sister, teacher, photog and all around nerd. Although not necessarily in that order. Yep, that's about it. ☮❤♾

No comments:

Post a Comment